After my parents gave us a hand on the allotment a couple of weeks back, I spent an hour there this morning – as advised by my super knowledgeable parents! Just clearing any weeds which were popping up and then starting to dig over and clear a bit more space.
I now have a good sized bed to start planting my first lot of seeds – Carrots (Flyaway F1) which will go in the ground next month.
As you can see, we have something sprouting up already. We rescued these little guys from some of the grass ridden patches of the plot. I do know that they are part of the Allium genus, but unsure as to wether they are leeks or spring onions. I look forward to finding out nonetheless!
I am really excited to start planting and growing our own food! I encourage everyone to do the same, even if you just have a small balcony or even a window box. You could plant herbs or smaller fruit/veg.
Keep up to date with my allotment by keeping an eye on my blog and Facebook and Instagram pages.
So… This weekend we took on the huge and necessary task of taking up all the decking in the garden. It had been patched up by the previous owners, but was in a bit of a state. It was rotten in most places so was a little dangerous underfoot. As well as this, our garden retains a lot of damp due to it being walled on two sides, it stays shaded much of the time so the decking rarely has a chance to dry up fully and is always slippery.
I left the job in the capable hands of Andrew and my Dad… Mostly I was terrified about what we might find underneath the rotten old decking. In reality, it was just a couple of toads and a lot of muck and rubbish.
Now its up and most of the dirt is swept away, It might not be pretty but its given us a safer space to use whilst we plan the other big jobs in the yarden. The next stage is to work out wether to dig out the gravel to the right-hand side to level it all out or not…
There is no real rush at this stage, I’m just pleased I can walk in the garden without falling over.